He got star wars legos if you can't tell by the picture. I have been holding out on getting legos for him as the age states that it is for ages 7-12. As you may well know, Luke isn't 7 yet! For one thing the pieces are little and could easily get lost. Not to mention the fact that if it busts apart he isn't going to be the one to put it together, that's my job! I caved completely on this stuff, as I do way too often with Luke. I spent the better part of 2 hours putting this little ship together. It turned out way cool and the sad part... I actually had fun playing with the legos!! He loves his ship and actually admitted to liking his school. He had fun are you kidding me??? FINALLY!!! Both of my kids are turning out to be self defeatists. If something is remotely scary they balk and want to quit without trying it out first, thus scaring themselves out of a lot of great things. As a parent that is a hard one, push them into stuff they don't necessarily like, but may, or not feed their fears? Well we choose to push them to get over their fears. I think that happens to be one of my greatest fears for them is that they get scared out of having these experiences that my well have been their greatest enjoyment or achievement. So we push, they push back, and then we try an "incentive"--its works most of the time. Let's just hope, for our checkbook's sake, that the "incentive" worked the first time!
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
You say tomato, I say tomahto...
I have now realized that I have to space out my postings because as my little bro so sweetly put it, "You need a hobby! All you write about is your minivan." True. True. I waited so that I might have something about something other than my vehicle. So here goes. My son has been having some serious separation anxiety from his mother, which is something I never would have expected from him-it's just not his personality(so I thought!) He has really been struggling with going to his classes at church, which has resulted in a lot of tears at church. I have also had to drop him off at his 'school' by prying him out of my arms while hearing him scream as I run to close the door. That is the not so fun part of being a parent. Now, this isn't my first time to have to do this and I know it won't be the last but I have been the rounds with Mckenna, as she tends to be a bit dramatic, but, with Luke it tugs at my heart strings more than I expected. Well, I am certainly a parent who believes in doing what works. So I gave him an "incentive" yesterday, some may call it bribery. If it works, why not? If my kids tend to be spoiled well, that's the price you pay to play the game huh? So, here's what Luke got yesterday--

He got star wars legos if you can't tell by the picture. I have been holding out on getting legos for him as the age states that it is for ages 7-12. As you may well know, Luke isn't 7 yet! For one thing the pieces are little and could easily get lost. Not to mention the fact that if it busts apart he isn't going to be the one to put it together, that's my job! I caved completely on this stuff, as I do way too often with Luke. I spent the better part of 2 hours putting this little ship together. It turned out way cool and the sad part... I actually had fun playing with the legos!! He loves his ship and actually admitted to liking his school. He had fun are you kidding me??? FINALLY!!! Both of my kids are turning out to be self defeatists. If something is remotely scary they balk and want to quit without trying it out first, thus scaring themselves out of a lot of great things. As a parent that is a hard one, push them into stuff they don't necessarily like, but may, or not feed their fears? Well we choose to push them to get over their fears. I think that happens to be one of my greatest fears for them is that they get scared out of having these experiences that my well have been their greatest enjoyment or achievement. So we push, they push back, and then we try an "incentive"--its works most of the time. Let's just hope, for our checkbook's sake, that the "incentive" worked the first time!
He got star wars legos if you can't tell by the picture. I have been holding out on getting legos for him as the age states that it is for ages 7-12. As you may well know, Luke isn't 7 yet! For one thing the pieces are little and could easily get lost. Not to mention the fact that if it busts apart he isn't going to be the one to put it together, that's my job! I caved completely on this stuff, as I do way too often with Luke. I spent the better part of 2 hours putting this little ship together. It turned out way cool and the sad part... I actually had fun playing with the legos!! He loves his ship and actually admitted to liking his school. He had fun are you kidding me??? FINALLY!!! Both of my kids are turning out to be self defeatists. If something is remotely scary they balk and want to quit without trying it out first, thus scaring themselves out of a lot of great things. As a parent that is a hard one, push them into stuff they don't necessarily like, but may, or not feed their fears? Well we choose to push them to get over their fears. I think that happens to be one of my greatest fears for them is that they get scared out of having these experiences that my well have been their greatest enjoyment or achievement. So we push, they push back, and then we try an "incentive"--its works most of the time. Let's just hope, for our checkbook's sake, that the "incentive" worked the first time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm scared of going to church classes too. Can I have something as an incentive as well? Like some pizza rolls or something?
Hmmm....Dave, I was talking about incentives from a parent to their child. Thank goodness, but I'm not your parent. So to answer your question... no pizza rolls, no dr. pepper, no anything!!! Good try though.
Then I'm not going to make my bed or clean my room.....
Post a Comment